Looking for delicious, comforting food that will impress your guests? Look no further than cream cheese chicken enchiladas. This classic Mexican dish is a crowd-pleaser that combines tender chicken, creamy cheese, and a savory enchilada sauce in a warm tortilla wrap.
Cream cheese chicken enchiladas are a delicious Mexican dish that combines the creaminess of cheese with the protein-packed flavor of shredded chicken in a tortilla wrap. The chicken is mixed with softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and cilantro for a flavorful filling. The rolled tortillas are then baked in the oven with a layer of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese until they are crispy and bubbling with melted cheese. These enchiladas are easy and tasty dishes that can be customized to your liking with different toppings and spice levels. It is very continent to make then is a perfect dish when you have a lot of leftover chicken in your refrigerator. Made with simple ingredients, this dish is cheesy, flavorsome, and finger-licking good.
Here are a few ways you can change this recipe and make it taste even better:
Beans: Add cooked black beans to the chicken mixture if you like beans or just want a different texture in your enchiladas.
Salsa Dance: While red enchilada sauce is perfect for this recipe, you can also use green enchilada sauce. Alternatively, you can use salsa or tomato sauce instead of enchiladas.
Cheese: Use Monterey Jack cheese instead of mozzarella cheese. It melts very well and its sweet taste is perfect.
How to Store Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas?
Store the leftover Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. and you can also freeze cooked or uncooked enchiladas. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and freeze. It will last for up to a month in the freezer. Reheat in the oven for about 15 minutes before serving.
Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas – The Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ cup bell pepper, diced
- ¾ cup cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 cups red enchiladas sauce, divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, half a cup of enchiladas sauce, half a cup of mozzarella cheese, half a cup of cheddar cheese, cayenne powder, and cumin powder. Mix well so that everything is well combined.
- Add pre-cooked shredded chicken, corn, and bell pepper, and continue to mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Prepare a baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Spread half of the enchiladas sauce at the bottom of the baking dish evenly.
- Place a tortilla flat on a working station or a flat plate. Scoop three to four tablespoons of the cream cheese and chicken mixture and place it in the center of the tortilla. Now roll the tortilla up and place it on the baking dish seam-side downwards. Continue until you have filled the dish with all the rolled-up tortillas.
- Pour the remaining enchiladas sauce over the rolled tortillas.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top.
- Place the baking dish in a preheated oven at 325-degree f for about 25 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and gets a golden color.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven and garnish the enchiladas with freshly chopped cilantro. Serve.